Thursday 11 December 2014

Time to Celebrate; A Birthday Pop-Up Card

Just a few weeks ago, someone posted a request in one of the local scrapping FB group I'm in, asking for volunteers to make some handmade cards for a Christmas and Birthday celebration for the old folks... The event was scheduled on the 13th December, which is this Saturday and it coincides with one of the grannies' birthday whose age is 98!!! Wow!!! She's having a long blissful life to live till that age... So I decided to volunteer to make a card for this birthday girl...

What really took me by surprise is the requirement of this card; it has to be A4 in size (8.27" x 11.69") when folded... It never occurred to me a card need to be that big to be given... Seriously, I was indeed taken aback... However, I got to know that the reason why the card needs to be that big - it has to be signed and penned down by the staffs and volunteers who organize this party... It must be a huge group I suppose...

Given the fact that I wasn't a true card-maker, making such a big card definitely puts me into challenging mode... For weeks, I couldn't possess the mojo in cardmaking, not to say in doing up such a big card... I sieved through my Graphic 45 Time to Celebrate collection for umpteen times till I finally have an idea what I want to do... I decided to do a pop-up... Completely a "steal" technique from YouTube and notably Martha Stewart's Mother's Day pop-up card, I re-created this card with added dimensions, together with the birthday girl's name on it... With all the excitement still hovering over my newly bought Big Shot plus I've received my dies (Yeah!!!), I attempted to die-cut on acrylic... And it works on the acrylic craft sheet that comes in my Clear Scraps DT package!!! It was a thrill to see patterns popping out when I passed the acrylic sheet through my Big Shot!!! Heehee... Can't help it but I just wanna find things to try on... 

Alright, I digress... So here I'm presenting this card for this 98 year old birthday girl... Hope she will like it... I hope this will give you an idea when it comes to making such a big card... Trust me, pop-up works amazingly well on big cards and I'm glad I made this choice for this card... 

Front of the card... As it's a pop-up, I'd have to add a ribbon to tie it down..
A close-up view on the embellishments...
The card that pops up with a bouquet of flowers...
The name of the birthday girl was added here...
The back of the card...

Here is a list of supplies that I used to make this card:

2 comments:

Sandie said...

It's absolutely stunning. I'm just wondering where everyone will write their names as the flowers cover the card centre! I'm sure they found a way :)

Anonymous said...

I really like your pop-up card. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Merry Christmas 🎄
Delama Starling