Thursday 26 March 2015

Paying my Last Respect to MM Lee Kuan Yew



This week is a sad and solemn week for Singapore... On 23rd March 2015, at 3:18am, our country's most beloved and respected Minister Mentor Mr. Lee Kuan Yew had passed away... The nation wept and I myself am deeply sadden by his demise...

I woke up at around 10:30am on Monday and I was the probably the last few who got to know about MM Lee's demise via Facebook... I was indeed shocked to see my Facebook feed flooded with news of MM Lee's demise... Waking up with a mind in calibration mode, I find this piece of news a little too shocking to be true... At that very moment, I find it hard to believe... As a Biomedical grad, it was at my best knowledge to comprehend the fact that at MM Lee's old age of 91, to win the battle and recover fully was a very unlikely event to happen given the fact that a new course of antibiotics was administered and there was no signs of improvement... Despite knowing his days were numbered, most Singaporeans hope he could pass through the ordeal and celebrate Singapore's 50th birthday this August... Very unfortunately, after a battle with pneumonia infection, he passed away peacefully on Monday morning...

There was an outcry of sadness and people across the nation are grieving... The truth didn't get sink into me till yesterday as I watched MM Lee's procession to the Parliament House (where his body will be lying in state for the public to pay respect) live on the national TV... I finally shed my tears in respect for this great leader... The government has declared a period of national mourning for this entire week and his funeral this Sunday... Emotions will run high in the air and this Sunday will be one excruciating day, a day where people of Singapore will cry for his final departure...

I myself have paid my very last respect to MM Lee this morning at the Parliament House and handwritten my tribute to him... In memory of this founding father of modern Singapore, I made this placard with a quote behind as a tribute to him... He was one such individual who was truly who he was and it was his lifetime privilege... Indeed a privilege that had benefited the people of Singapore and what he had left for us is his legacy and unwavering love for the country that will always be remembered...








No comments: