Wednesday 11 February 2015

A Tibetan Poppy Altered Vase

One thing about dealing with colours is the ability to give you the freedom to play around... And this is exactly what I like about colours... Even I had received some training in both design and arts, I'm still learning how to see colours... Throughout the various DT projects I've done previously, thus far the colours I've played with are within a restrictive zone that I'd have to match accordingly to the colour scheme of every paper collection... Sounds rather convenient and to a certain extend yes it's pretty much straight forward...

When it comes to just using colours alone, that's a totally different thing altogether... It's usually nonrestrictive with a huge space for creativity... Anything could happen under the sun... What really excites me as part of Shimmerz DT is that I finally get to play with colours; seriously playing with colours... As I progress as an Artist I started to understand what colours are all about in a very different way... Every day I discover and learn new things... Pretty exciting journey I should say...

So for today Shimmerz's blog post, I'm sharing this altered vintage milk vase which I had it totally transformed into a piece of art decor... The original idea came from the Himalaya Tibetan Poppy, mainly the unique blue colour from this flower... Because of the unusual texture of this particular vase I've, it gave me a very medieval feel as if it came from somewhere back in the 12th century where the medieval Renaissance period was... To transformed into something more modernize yet preserving the vintage feel, I decided to use blue as my main colour with contrasting yellow to gold colours... I deliberately altered the flowers to mimic the Tibetan Poppy and darken the edges to worn down the look with a more vintage touch... To give a little Renaissance touch, I used some white feathers and twine to soften down the blue for a balance of colours...





Here is a list of Shimmerz products I've used for this project:
  • Coloringz (Heidi Ho Blue, Well Blue Me Down)
  • Vibez (Egg Noggin')
  • Creameez (Get Glowing, Ride the Tide)
  • Inklingz (Miner, Miner, 49er)
Do hop over to Shimmerz Paint Store to have a look. Some freebies for you guys should you shop at Shimmerz, simply mention my name (Katie Zoey Ho) under "INSTRUCTIONS TO MERCHANT" during checkout, you will get to receive a FREE jar of Inklingz...


1 comment:

Kathy Bradley said...

Just saw this on the Shimmerz page - just gorgeous - love the shades of blue. Thank you for sharing.